Re: pgsql/src/test/regress (GNUmakefile pg_regress.sh) - Mailing list pgsql-committers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: pgsql/src/test/regress (GNUmakefile pg_regress.sh)
Date
List pgsql-committers
Larry Rosenman <ler@lerctr.org> writes:
> What if the compiler (native) is xlc (AIX?) ?

At the moment, we only know of a need to distinguish gcc from
vendor-supplied compilers, so I think Peter's solution of "gcc" or "cc"
is OK until proven inadequate.  It's going to be fairly difficult to
come up with a portable method of identifying compilers more closely
than that, anyway.  Looking at the pathname would be easily fooled,
and moreover not necessarily good enough: HP ships two considerably
different compilers for HPUX, but calls 'em both cc :-(

Let's try this for now, and worry about better ideas when and if we
need one.

(Eventually I think we're going to have to tweak the geometry tests
to round off the last couple digits, which should eliminate most
of the problem anyway...)

            regards, tom lane