Re: Time Intervals - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Jason Earl
Subject Re: Time Intervals
Date
List pgsql-sql
PostgreSQL has all kinds of nifty date math tools.  For example,

processdata=> SELECT CURRENT_TIMESTAMP AS "NOW",              CURRENT_TIMESTAMP + interval '1 hour' AS "LATER";
         NOW           |         LATER
------------------------+------------------------2002-02-13 12:18:30-07 | 2002-02-13 13:18:30-07
(1 row)

It seems to me that what you really want isn't to add an interval
value to your expiry timestamp, but rather you need to add the
interval value to the current timestamp.  The cool thing is that
intervals like '1 week', '30 days', '5 minutes' all work like you
would expect.

So when you update your records simply do something like this:

UPDATE my_table SET expiry = CURRENT_TIMESTAMP + interval '1 hour' WHERE ...

I hope this was helpful.

Jason