Re: Using Connecting to Postgresql from MS Access - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Jason Earl
Subject Re: Using Connecting to Postgresql from MS Access
Date
List pgsql-general
sans@mbox.com.au (Nicolas Kuhl) writes:

> Hi, i'm kind of new Postgresql so please excuse me if this is common
> knowledge. I'm studying computer science, and have been given a
> group assignenment to work on, part of which is the set-up of a
> web-page running on linux server with apache, etc. This webpage
> tests people and collects their results to be stored in a database,
> which is to be accessed and modified by people using Windows boxes
> at different locations (over a WAN). I understand that it is
> possible to link a table in a Postgresql database into and MS Access
> database, but am really in the dark as to how to do this. If someone
> can't point me in the direction of a FAQ or similar i would be very
> grateful......
>
> thanks...

First of all, this sounds like a shoe-in for pgsql-novice.  Second of
all, how does Access fit into the mix?  It sounds like you need to
build a simple web page that gathers form data and inserts it into
PostgreSQL.  Is that correct?  If it is, then Access is superfluous.

Now, if you want to connect Access to the PostgreSQL database in
*addition* to the web page, then that is a different story.  Simply
install the PostgreSQL ODBC drivers (available at
odbc.postgresql.org), and use them to connect Access to the PostgreSQL
database.  If you really need the step by step instructions write me
back personally and I will see if I can't help you out.  It's fairly
straightforward stuff, however.  There's bound to be a tutorial.

Jason