Re: auto-vacuum conflicting with long running analyze - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Gregory Stark
Subject Re: auto-vacuum conflicting with long running analyze
Date
List pgsql-hackers
"Alvaro Herrera" <alvherre@commandprompt.com> writes:

> Shane Ambler wrote:
>
>> Given that the analyze will obviously take a long time, is this scenario
>> likely to happen with 8.3.1? or has it been fixed since 8.1.x?
>
> In 8.3, autovacuum cancels itself if it sees it is conflicting with
> another query.

But that's because it could *block* other queries. Not because it should be
causing deadlocks. Unless you're doing analyze within a transaction I don't
see why a autovacuum would be causing deadlocks. There are useful reasons to
run analyze within a transaction but I suspect you're not actually doing it
for any of those reasons.

--  Gregory Stark EnterpriseDB          http://www.enterprisedb.com Ask me about EnterpriseDB's 24x7 Postgres support!