Re: Auto-explain patch - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Gregory Stark
Subject Re: Auto-explain patch
Date
List pgsql-hackers
"Simon Riggs" <simon@2ndquadrant.com> writes:

> On Wed, 2008-07-09 at 09:11 +0000, Dean Rasheed wrote:
>>
>> So I suggest grouping these parameters in their own category
>> (eg. "sql_trace") and then having additional parameters to control
>> where the output would go. So the sql_trace parameters would be:
>>
>> * sql_trace_min_planner_duration
>> * sql_trace_min_executor_duration
>> * sql_trace_explain_plan
>>
> If its possible to do the sql_trace_* parameters as a single one, I
> would prefer it, since it makes it more practical to use dynamically.
> Not sure how...maybe with a wrapper function?
>
> sql_trace(integer) sets just sql_trace_min_executor_duration
> sql_trace(integer, boolean) sets executor and explain
> sql_trace(integer, integer, boolean) sets all 3

Fwiw it seems to me "trace_sql_*" would be nicer, much as we have
track_* guc parameters.

Though I also wonder if there's really any distinction here between "tracing"
and "logging" like log_explain_plan and so on. Perhaps we should keep the word
"trace" for a more in-detail facility.

--  Gregory Stark EnterpriseDB          http://www.enterprisedb.com Ask me about EnterpriseDB's 24x7 Postgres support!