Re: default parameters for built-in functions - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Gregory Stark
Subject Re: default parameters for built-in functions
Date
In response to default parameters for built-in functions (was Re: Documentation Update: Document pg_start_backup checkpoint behavior)  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
List pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> writes:

> So I think that's out.  The only alternative that comes to mind is
> to have initdb issue an additional SQL command to establish the default
> after the bootstrap phase; that is, something like
>
> CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION
>   pg_start_backup(label text, fast boolean DEFAULT false)
>   RETURNS text LANGUAGE internal STRICT AS 'start_backup';
>
> in system_views.sql or some such place.

Well, not that this is appropriate at this moment, but I had been considering
proposing we do this to most of pg_proc and pg_operator. It's really quite a
pain to maintain these files manually, especially pg_operator.

--  Gregory Stark EnterpriseDB          http://www.enterprisedb.com Ask me about EnterpriseDB's On-Demand Production
Tuning