Re: Upgrading from 9.2 -> 9.6: ERROR with 'could not execute query: ERROR: permission denied for type my_type_name' - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Jerry Sievers
Subject Re: Upgrading from 9.2 -> 9.6: ERROR with 'could not execute query: ERROR: permission denied for type my_type_name'
Date
List pgsql-admin
"Fehrle, Brian" <bfehrle@comscore.com> writes:

> Hi all,
>

> I'm upgrading a database from 9.2 to 9.6 and I'm running into an
> interesting error. I've upgraded dozens of very similar databases
> already in the same configuration, but each database has different
> schema definitions, and this is the first one with an error like this
> that we've seen.

Couple things...

I remember a vaguely similar issue we had also going up from some older
version such as 9.2 and it was due to IIRC a bad grantor aspect in the
ACL entry.

The fix was to manually update same in the related catalog entry (see
warning below).

Look further up in the SQL script pg_dump is trying to run to see just
what session auth is set to at the time of failure because is it about
certainly not postgres or any superuser else you would not get the
perm denied error.

I'd suggest you do this looking into the actual pg_dump result that came
from pg_upgrade since it runs pg_dump with an undocumented
--binary-upgrade option which changes a few things, in case this
matters.

!!Please do *not* perform the aforementioned catalog updates without
  verifying  that there is no other solution.

HTH

--
Jerry Sievers
Postgres DBA/Development Consulting