Re: Support UPDATE table SET(*)=... - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Support UPDATE table SET(*)=...
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> Andrew Gierth wrote:

>> I would have liked to have done that, but that would have raised the
>> complexity of the project from "Atri can take a stab at this one with
>> negligible supervision" to "Andrew will have to spend more time than he
>> has conveniently available staring at the raw parser to try and make it
>> work".

Well, we've never considered implementation convenience to be more
important than getting it right, and this doesn't seem like a place
to start.

(FWIW, the raw-parser changes would be a negligible fraction of the work
involved to do it like that.)

> Not to mention that, at this stage, we should be looking at reducing the
> scope of patches in commitfest rather than enlarge it.

I already took it out of the current commitfest ;-).