Re: Allow to_date() and to_timestamp() to accept localized names - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Allow to_date() and to_timestamp() to accept localized names
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> Even whitespace is problematic for some languages, such as Afan,

> mon      "Qunxa Garablu";/
>          "Naharsi Kudo";/
>          "Ciggilta Kudo";/

> (etc) but I think whitespace-splitting is going to be more comprehensible
> in the vast majority of cases, even if not perfect.

Interesting.  Given that to_date et al are often willing to ignore
whitespace in input, I wonder whether we won't have some other issues
with names like that --- not so much that basic cases wouldn't work,
as that people might reasonably expect that, say, we'd be flexible
about the amount of whitespace.  Seems like a problem for another day
though.

In the meantime, I agree that "truncate at whitespace" is a better
heuristic for the error messages than what we've got.  I'll go make it so.