Re: deadlock while re-indexing table - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Gregory Stark
Subject Re: deadlock while re-indexing table
Date
List pgsql-general
"Dave Cramer" <pg@fastcrypt.com> writes:

> On 12-Feb-08, at 10:37 AM, Tom Lane wrote:
>
>> Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@commandprompt.com> writes:
>>
>>> I don't find this very surprising ... I would suggest using "reindex
>>> index" for each index instead.  I'm not sure if REINDEX TABLE is
>>> supposed to be deadlock-free.
>>
>> It's not guaranteed to be so, but I'd think simple cases would be
>> okay.  What's that other process doing?
>>
> The other process is inserting into the user_profile table.

Hm. This shouldn't be enough to cause a deadlock. Both inserts and reindex use
the same method to get the list of indexes which returns them in the same
order.

Did either transaction do anything else in the same transaction previously?

--
  Gregory Stark