Re: Patch for 8.5, transformationHook - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Dimitri Fontaine
Subject Re: Patch for 8.5, transformationHook
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Hi,

> I don't really believe that JSON is "only one use case".  XML and JSON
> are in a class of their own; there's nothing else out there that is
> really comparable.

You might want to hear about the UBF specs from Joe Armstrong, let me
quote its page about it:
 UBF is a language for transporting and describing complex data structures across a network. It has three components:
   * UBF(A) is a data transport format, roughly equivalent to     well-formed XML.
   * UBF(B) is a programming langauge for describing types in UBF(A)     and protocols between clients and servers.
UBF(B)is roughly     equivalent to to Verified XML, XML-schemas, SOAP and WDSL.

   * UBF(C) is a meta-level protocol between used between UBF servers.
 While the XML series of languages had the goal of having a human readable format the UBF languages take the opposite
viewand provide a "machine friendly" format.

 http://www.sics.se/~joe/ubf/site/home.html

It seems there's an ongoing revision to adapt this work to JSON
nowadays:
 http://armstrongonsoftware.blogspot.com/2009/02/json-protocols-part-1.html

Oh and now I'm wondering about ASN.1...

Regards,