Re: How to declare PG version for compiling extensions. - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Andrew Gierth
Subject Re: How to declare PG version for compiling extensions.
Date
List pgsql-general

 GPT> Unfortunately, I had not installed the following package:
 GPT> "postgresql-server-dev-11"

 GPT> By the way, shouldn't a warning message appear while trying to run:

 GPT> `PATH=/usr/lib/postgresql/11/bin:$PATH make USE_PGXS=1`

 GPT> warning the user that some files are missing.

It's more reliable to do (if the makefile is correctly written):

make USE_PGXS=1 PG_CONFIG=/usr/lib/postgresql/11/bin/pg_config

By specifying the pg_config binary explicitly rather than relying on the
PATH, you avoid the chance of picking up an incorrect copy by mistake.
This is why the standard form for pgxs makefiles has an assignment for
PG_CONFIG before the PGXS assignment line; the command-line option
overrides it.

--
Andrew (irc:RhodiumToad)