Re: Postgresql Windows build and modern perl (>=5.28) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Dagfinn Ilmari Mannsåker
Subject Re: Postgresql Windows build and modern perl (>=5.28)
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Victor Wagner <vitus@wagner.pp.ru> writes:

> Attached patch makes use of this function if PERL_VERSION >= 28.
> It makes plperl compile with ActiveStatePerl 5.28 and StrawberryPerl
> 5.30.2.1.

I have no opinion on the substantive content of this patch, but please
don't just check against just PERL_VERSION.  Now that Perl 6 has been
renamed to Raku, Perl may bump its major version (PERL_REVISION) to 7 at
some point in th future.

The correct thing to use is the PERL_VERSION_(GT|GE|LE|LT|EQ|NE) macros,
which are provided by newer versions of perl.  We would need to update
the included copy of ppport.h to get them on older perls, but we should
do that anyway, it's not been updated since 2009.  I'll start a separate
thread for that.

- ilmari