Re: FILLFACTOR and increasing index - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Leonardo Francalanci
Subject Re: FILLFACTOR and increasing index
Date
List pgsql-general
> Yes, I use the same approach, but  I'm not aware of any such guideline
> related to fillfactor with indexes.  Anyway those guidelines need to be
> written by someone, so you have a great  opportunity ;-)

I did a quick test using your example. As in your test, "increasing"
values don't get any gain from a different  fillfactor.
I tried a random index:

create table test_fill (id int);
create index test_fill_idx on test_fill(id) with (fillfactor=100);
insert into test_fill select (random()*100000)::integer from
generate_series(1,10000000) i;

time: 373936.724

drop table test_fill;
create table test_fill (id int);
create index test_fill_idx on test_fill(id) with (fillfactor=50);

insert into test_fill select (random()*100000)::integer from
generate_series(1,10000000) i;
time: 393209.911

not much difference...

Now I'm getting confused... is which cases fillfactor makes a difference???