Re: Admin nice-to-have's - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Neil Conway
Subject Re: Admin nice-to-have's
Date
Re: Admin nice-to-have's  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
List pgsql-hackers
Scott Shattuck <ss@technicalpursuit.com> writes:
> Allow DBA/Database Owner to log in even when max_connections has
> been reached so they can determine which queries are hung via
> pg_stat_activity etc. and perform any other needed work to restore
> stability.

Allowing the database owner to login seems definately wrong: it's not
unusual for many of the normal database clients to run as the owner of
the database they operate on. So this would effectively disable the
max_connections limit in this situation.

I don't see a major problem with allowing postgres to login if the
connection limit is hit (although I'm not sure it's worth the worry,
when 'kill a backend executing SELECT ; psql template1 postgres' works
as-is).

Cheers,

Neil

--