Re: before trigger doesn't, on insert of too long data - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Neil Conway
Subject Re: before trigger doesn't, on insert of too long data
Date
List pgsql-bugs
Thomas Erskine <thomas.erskine@sympatico.ca> writes:
> A before trigger doesn't always fire.  If a column being inserted into is
> too small for the incoming data, psql complains:
>      ERROR:  value too long for type ...
> without giving the trigger procedure a chance to deal with it.

I believe this is a feature, not a bug: a CHAR(4) field should never,
ever contain > 4 characters. Whether there is a trigger that is yet to
be processed is not relevant.

I'd suggest changing the type of the column to be TEXT, or similar
(which should be just as efficient CHAR(4)).

-Neil