Re: [PGSQL 8.2.x] INSERT+INSERT - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Gregory Stark
Subject Re: [PGSQL 8.2.x] INSERT+INSERT
Date
List pgsql-general
"Vincenzo Romano" <vincenzo.romano@gmail.com> writes:

>> Or wrap it around SQL function:
>
> That's the way I'm doind now even if in a slightly different way.
> 20+ million calls will badly slooow down the DB insertions

Are you sure? How much?

> and require you to know the exact name of the implicit sequence

If you're sure you only have a single sequence being bumped here (no triggers
inserting somewhere else, or other columns with sequences for default values,
etc) then you could use lastval().

> and, more important, not to have any concurrent accesses to it.

huh? no, sequences don't require this. They would be pointless if they did.

--
  Gregory Stark