Re: Closing some 8.4 open items - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andrew Gierth
Subject Re: Closing some 8.4 open items
Date
List pgsql-hackers
>>> Perhaps more to the point: the previous round of discussion about>>> this already rejected the idea of treating
windowfunctions as a>>> category fundamentally separate from plain functions --- that is,>>> we are not following the
"aggregate"model of having separate>>> commands for aggregate functions.

>> I hadn't seen any such a consensus.
Tom> We do not have CREATE WINDOW FUNCTION, DROP WINDOW FUNCTION,Tom> ALTER WINDOW FUNCTION, etc.  If psql uses \dw it
willbeTom> presenting a different world view than exists at the SQL level.

I'm not sure why that would matter. The fact that it is CREATE
FUNCTION ... WINDOW rather than CREATE WINDOW FUNCTION doesn't mean
that window functions aren't a distinctly different animal to normal
functions. The usage and syntax is different enough that putting them
all together under \df seems forced.

--
Andrew (irc:RhodiumToad)