Re: PostgreSQL in a shared-disk enviroment - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: PostgreSQL in a shared-disk enviroment
Date
List pgsql-general
th240265@pegasus.cc.ucf.edu writes:
> Primary machine is nothing particularily special. Running w/ fsync = true
> (which, correct me if I'm wrong, guarantees that by the time the db reports a
> txn as finished, the txn is guaranteed to be on the disk & in the db).
> Failover has a heartbeat monitor on the primary, if the primary goes down, the
> failover starts up postgre (which then recovers the db, throws out bad txn's,
> etc.) & takes over the primary's IP address. Notice here that postgre is NOT
> running on the failover machine until the primary goes down.

This will work; it's not different from the normal crash/restart scenario.

> Can I do a hot-failover (keep postgre running on the failover machine and simply
> let the failover take over the primary's IP w/out skipping a beat)?

This will NOT work.

> Any other things I need to keep in mind when running two instances of postgre on
> the same db?

There's only one thing to keep in mind: don't try it.

BTW, "Postgres" is spelled and pronounced "Postgres", not "postgre".

            regards, tom lane