Re: Add primary keys to system catalogs - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: Add primary keys to system catalogs
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 03.10.20 08:40, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> I saw someone ask once for a schema diagram of the system catalogs.
> Things like that have occasionally been produced manually, but they are
> not regularly updated.  That made me wonder, why can't we add primary
> and foreign keys to system catalogs and then have existing tools produce
> such a schema diagram automatically?

Given that these prerequisites have been accomplished in PostgreSQL 14,
I went back and made a little tool to convert the foreign-key
relationship information into a graphviz representation.  The result
turns out to be pretty unwieldly and probably not something easily
suitable for the documentation; maybe someone wants to fine-tune the
graphviz settings to get a better view.  My tool is at
<https://github.com/petere/pgcatviz>.  Attached is a sample output.

Attachment