Re: Is my MySQL Gaining ? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From merlyn@stonehenge.com (Randal L. Schwartz)
Subject Re: Is my MySQL Gaining ?
Date
Re: Is my MySQL Gaining ?  (Christopher Murtagh <christopher.murtagh@mcgill.ca>)
List pgsql-general

Jan> It seems to concern MySQL now at least. They have changed their minds
Jan> on many enterprise features that PostgreSQL has for years. The
Jan> strategy of misguiding people like "you don't need foreign keys", "you
Jan> don't need stored procedures", "yadda yadda triggers", "blah blah
Jan> views" didn't work forever. So they have to add or propose those
Jan> features one by one.

I've noticed a similar strategy in the PHP vs Perl dimension.  PHP
started out being "simple and fast and easy to learn" by throwing off
all of the "complexities of Perl that weren't needed".

Slowly and steadily, lagging about 3 to 10 years behind, PHP has
adding one-by-one all those "weird Perl features", but doing a poor
job of integrating them.

So, you can get PHP for 2007 already.  It's called Perl, and it's
probably already installed on your box.

"PostgreSQL is where MySQL will be in five years" might be a good
catchmeme.  Anyone wanna run with it?