Re: Re: Call for platforms - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Ivar Helbekkmo
Subject Re: Re: Call for platforms
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Giles Lean <giles@nemeton.com.au> writes:

> It is still necessary to add -ltermcap after -ledit in
> src/Makefile.global to have functional history editing in psql.

This is a weakness in the configure script: it goes through a loop
where it tries to link a program that calls readline() with, in order,
"-lreadline", "-lreadline -ltermcap", "-lreadline -lncurses",
"-lreadline -lcurses", "-ledit", "-ledit -ltermcap", "-ledit
-lncurses" and "-ledit -lcurses".  The first link that succeeds wil
determine which libraries are used.  However, on some platforms with
dynamic libraries, the link will succeed as soon as readline() is
present -- but the shared library that contains it doesn't contain a
complete specification of all other libraries it needs at run-time
(the executable is expected to hold this information), and the program
fails at run-time even though it linked without any error message.

I don't know how the situation could best be improved, though...

-tih
--
The basic difference is this: hackers build things, crackers break them.