Re: Clarification regarding array columns usage? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From merlyn@stonehenge.com (Randal L. Schwartz)
Subject Re: Clarification regarding array columns usage?
Date
List pgsql-general

m> I would appreciate if someone could clarify the aspects of using array
m> columns.

In general, bad idea.

m> We need to store up to ten related integer values per row and currently it
m> is implemented as a varchar column that holds a string that is concatenated
m> by a trigger function. Something like this:

Why?

If you were storing these as a daughter table, then you get
easy parsing, easy concurrent updating, easy access to aggregate
functions.  Just like SQL was meant to be used.

Stop thinking of tables as Excel sheets.