Rép. : Subselects to populate a table - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Erwan DUROSELLE
Subject Rép. : Subselects to populate a table
Date
List pgsql-novice
Have you tried :

INSERT INTO "cards_type_temp"
( "card_game", "card_name", "card_table", "record_num" )
SELECT  'Vtes', "card_name", "card_type", "record_num" FROM
"cards_type" ;

(not tested however)

Erwan

>>> "Chris Boget" <chris@wild.net> 01/03 2:25  >>>
I've read through the docs and I couldn't find many examples of using
subselects.  I could find out and read all about what they were, but
not
many examples.  If someone could point to a page that does show this,
I'd be ever so appreciative!
Anyways, I'm redoing a table I imported from MySQL (as part of my
conversion to PG from MySQL) and I'm having problems with this.  The
error I'm getting is that it says you can't select more than one
column.
Why?  Is there another way to do what I'm trying?  Here is my query:

INSERT INTO "cards_type_temp"
( "card_game", "card_name", "card_table", "record_num" )
VALUES
( 'Vtes', ( SELECT "card_name", "card_type", "record_num" FROM
"cards_type" ));

Any help or insight would be great!

Chris