Re: Citus Data becomes Microsoft - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Justin Clift
Subject Re: Citus Data becomes Microsoft
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
On 2019-01-26 02:16, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> On 2019-Jan-25, Justin Clift wrote:
<snip>
> Are you saying that Microsoft is out to destroy open source communities
> by way of adding features to github that would diminish their abilities
> to get things done?

This conversation is bordering on bizarre. ;)

Microsoft is an organisation which is clearly - from their actions - on
the "evil" side of behaviour.  From old RPG-player slang ;), somewhere
between neutral evil and chaotic evil.

On the one hand, they're been making inroads to OSS - after finally
realising OSS really is a more effective better development model than
proprietary (in most cases).  On the other hand, they're still pulling
whatever unethical crap they feel is in their best interests, and only
getting away with it either due to the law being slow or their qty of
lawyers:

   * Forced upgrades of Windows (seems mostly over now?)
   * Forcing telemetry on all users.  Still happening.

     Note - If you reckon them being told (literally) every time their
     users click the start menu isn't a gross violation of personal
     privacy, I reckon that's just weird.  Some people seem ok with it,
     but personally I don't even have words to describe just how far
     wrong that is. :(

If you're ok with the PostgreSQL Community falling under the influence
of this kind of organisation, then sure, that's you're opinion.

I **really** don't want us to have anything to do with them though.
They're likely to invest in areas that make sense (which *seems* good),
but will happily screw us over in whatever ways - and make noises to
the opposite effect - that seem to their best interests.

Are they unique in this aspect?  Hell no.

We've avoided much of other evil organisations (Oracle springs to mind)
tentacles thus far.

Hopefully the other significant PostgreSQL supporting companies don't
become prey like this. :(

> Microsoft today doesn't seem Microsoft 20 years ago.

As per above, they don't seem different at all.

+ Justin