Re: Citus Data becomes Microsoft - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: Citus Data becomes Microsoft
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
On 2019-Jan-25, Justin Clift wrote:

> On 2019-01-25 15:14, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> > On 2019-Jan-25, Justin Clift wrote:
> > > That is absolutely terrible news. :(
> > >
> > > Looks like they've taken a leaf from the Oracle playbook. :( :( :(
> >
> > Well, isn't this what everyone said about Microsoft buying GitHub?
>
> Yes.
>
> > However, nothing terrible seems to have happened to GitHub ... rather
> > the opposite, I think.
>
> That's weird.  They started introducing "Social Network" features last
> week, regardless of said features have a negative effect on user focus
> and attention to detail. :(

Are you saying that Microsoft is out to destroy open source communities
by way of adding features to github that would diminish their abilities
to get things done?  This doesn't sound like a realistic threat to me.

I don't like "social networks" myself, but I can't blame MS for going
that route.  It's just what young people seem to ask for.

Microsoft today doesn't seem Microsoft 20 years ago.

> Also, the reason why I nuked every GitHub repo, gist, and useful star
> I have.  Not just needing to figure out an alternative OAuth provider,
> before completely deleting the account.

Right, and many migrated to gitlab and other providers; but it seems to
me that Microsoft hasn't actually done any harm to those that stayed.