Re: Bye bye Mongo, Hello Postgres - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Justin Clift
Subject Re: Bye bye Mongo, Hello Postgres
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
On 2018-12-20 23:45, Damien Clochard wrote:
> https://www.theguardian.com/info/2018/nov/30/bye-bye-mongo-hello-postgres

Said Hi to the article authors after this hit the list, just to
check how things were going post-migration. :)

Received a reply yesterday (below) from Philip McMahon.  Looks
like PG is working fine as expected. :D

+ Justin

***

Hey Justin

This is a verrry late reply to your message, which got
buried in my inbox over christmas! Thanks very much for
the feedback!

And yes - it's been great! we haven't had any performance
issues since the initial migration. The only problem I
had was trying to find occurrences of a string in an
unindexed field buried 5 levels deep in the JSONB blob
we use for our content item - the query took over 20
minutes before I gave up.

Not that surprising though with 2 million items to scan through.

We're pretty upset that AWS didn't tell us about this

<https://aws.amazon.com/blogs/aws/new-amazon-documentdb-with-mongodb-compatibility-fast-scalable-and-highly-available/>
to be honest - we wouldn't have justified the cost of
migration to PG if we knew that was coming. But ignoring
the cost, we're in a better place now than on some
AWS specific mongo clone thing.

Thanks again for your message and sorry for the sloow reply!

Phil