Re: Testing plperl<->plperlu interaction - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From decibel
Subject Re: Testing plperl<->plperlu interaction
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Jan 6, 2010, at 5:46 PM, Andrew Dunstan wrote:
> Tim Bunce wrote:
>> I was investigating a bug in an 8.4.1 production system and distilled a
>> test case down to this:
>>
>>    CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION bar() RETURNS integer AS $$
>>        #die 'BANG!'; # causes server process to exit(2)
>>        # alternative - causes server process to exit(255)
>>        spi_exec_query("invalid sql statement");
>>    $$ language plperl; -- plperl or plperlu
>>       CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION foo() RETURNS integer AS $$
>>        spi_exec_query("SELECT * FROM bar()");
>>        return 1;
>>    $$ LANGUAGE plperlu; -- must be opposite to language of bar
>>       SELECT * FROM bar(); -- throws exception normally
>>    SELECT * FROM foo(); -- causes the server to exit abnormaly
>>
>> before then rereading the 8.4.2 release notes and seeing that the bug
>> was already fixed. D'oh!
>>
>> I see the test suite doesn't have any plperlu tests at all.
>> Is there any reason for that?
>>

> Just that we haven't bothered. But we can't run tests for both in the same session because that doesn't work on all
platforms.I actually played a bit with it the other day. Setting up some plperlu tests would be very simple.

We've actually run into similar issues. Alvaro came up with a patch that fixes our specific issue, but I think he said
therewere some other cases that needed to be fixed as well. Anyone looking to fix this should ping Alvaro first.
--
Jim C. Nasby, Database Architect                   jim@nasby.net