Re: buildfarm server suddenly not talking to old SSL stacks? - Mailing list pgsql-www

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: buildfarm server suddenly not talking to old SSL stacks?
Date
List pgsql-www
> Tom, please see if adding this at the top of the failing script fixes it:
>     use IO::Socket::SSL qw (inet);

No, that doesn't work at all, but

      use IO::Socket::SSL qw (inet4);

does fix it.  Not sure how far that helps though --- we'd not want to put
that in the buildfarm client would we?

Some more detail: tracing shows that IO::Socket::INET6 is getting used,
and that contains code that purports to make the correct decision between
IPv6 and IPv4, but it's going wrong.  It looks like what it *actually*
does is make sure that both the local and remote addresses can be resolved
in the same address family.  I think that the local address is probably
"localhost", which RHEL6 will helpfully resolve as either 127.0.0.1 or ::1
regardless of whether there's any other support for IPv6 anyplace,
allowing INET6 to predict that the connection will work ... which it
doesn't, but the code doesn't want to retry after failing that step.

Perhaps I could fix this by rejiggering things so that localhost only
resolves as 127.0.0.1, but I don't really want to muck with that.
Removing the perl-IO-Socket-INET6 package would be less invasive.

            regards, tom lane