Re: 8.x index insert performance - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Ron Peacetree
Subject Re: 8.x index insert performance
Date
List pgsql-performance
I'm surprised that no one seems to have yet suggested the following
simple experiment:

Increase the RAM 4GB -> 8GB, tune for best performance, and
repeat your 100M row insert experiment.

Does overall insert performance change?  Does the performance
drop <foo> rows in still occur?  Does it occur in ~ the same place?
Etc.

If the effect does seem to be sensitive to the amount of RAM in the
server, it might be worth redoing the experiment(s) with 2GB and
16GB as well...

ron