Re: very slow queries and ineffective vacuum - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Jerry Sievers
Subject Re: very slow queries and ineffective vacuum
Date
List pgsql-general
William Dunn <dunnwjr@gmail.com> writes:

> Sorry I meant to say, "To track transactions that have been left idle but not committed or rolled back you would..."
> Typo

foodb/postgres
=# \d pg_stat_activity|pg_prepared_xacts
        View "pg_catalog.pg_prepared_xacts"
   Column    |           Type           | Modifiers
-------------+--------------------------+-----------
 transaction | xid                      |
 gid         | text                     |
 prepared    | timestamp with time zone |
 owner       | name                     |
 database    | name                     |

           View "pg_catalog.pg_stat_activity"
      Column      |           Type           | Modifiers
------------------+--------------------------+-----------
 datid            | oid                      |
 datname          | name                     |
 pid              | integer                  |
 usesysid         | oid                      |
 usename          | name                     |
 application_name | text                     |
 client_addr      | inet                     |
 client_hostname  | text                     |
 client_port      | integer                  |
 backend_start    | timestamp with time zone |
 xact_start       | timestamp with time zone |
 query_start      | timestamp with time zone |
 state_change     | timestamp with time zone |
 waiting          | boolean                  |
 state            | text                     |
 query            | text                     |

foodb/postgres
=#

> Will J. Dunn
> willjdunn.com
>
> On Tue, Jun 30, 2015 at 4:33 PM, William Dunn <dunnwjr@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>     On Tue, Jun 30, 2015 at 8:57 AM, Lukasz Wrobel <lukasz.wrobel@motorolasolutions.com> wrote:
>
>         Perhaps I'm missing some indexes on the tables (creating them on the columns on which the where clause was
usedin the long queries seemed to halve their

(doc: http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/runtime-config-statistics.html#GUC-TRACK-ACTIVITIES)
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/monitoring-stats.html#
>     PG-STAT-ACTIVITY-VIEW)
>
>     As you would suspect, transactions that have been left "idle in transaction" prevent vacuum from removing old
tuples(because they are still in scope for that
>     transaction)
>
>     Will J. Dunn
>     willjdunn.com
>
>     On Tue, Jun 30, 2015 at 4:27 PM, William Dunn <dunnwjr@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>         Hello Lukasz,
>
>         On Tue, Jun 30, 2015 at 8:57 AM, Lukasz Wrobel <lukasz.wrobel@motorolasolutions.com> wrote:
>
>             There doesn't seem to be any issues with disk space, memory or CPU, as neither of those is even 50% used
(asper df and top).

>         Are you using the default PostgreSQL configuration settings, or have you custom tuned them? The default
settingsare targeted for wide compatibility and are not
islikely some tuning is needed. See docs: http://

config http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/
>         runtime-config-statistics.html
>
>         Will J. Dunn
>         willjdunn.com
>
>         On Tue, Jun 30, 2015 at 8:57 AM, Lukasz Wrobel <lukasz.wrobel@motorolasolutions.com> wrote:
>
>             Hello.
>
>             I have multiple problems with my database, the biggest of which is how to find out what is actually
wrong.

>             First of all I have a 9.3 postgres database that is running for about a month. Right now the queries on
thatdatabase are running very slowly (select with a
>             simple "where" on a non-indexed column on a table with about 5000 records takes 1,5s, a complicated
hibernateselect with 7 joins on tables of about 5000

query: https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Show_database_bloatshows wasted bytes in
>             hundreds of MB.
>
>             For whatever reason there is also no data in pg_stat* tables.
>
>             So due to the long query times, there are multiple errors in my application logs like "No free connection
available"or "Could not synchronize database
>             state with session", or "Failed to rollback transaction" and the application fails to start in the
requiredtime.

>             The only thing that helps fix the situation seems to be vacuum full of the entire database. Regular
vacuumdoesn't even lower the dead tuples count (which
>             appear by the thousands during application launching). Reindex of all the indexes in the database didn't
helpas well. All autovacuum parameters are
>             default.
>
>             There doesn't seem to be any issues with disk space, memory or CPU, as neither of those is even 50% used
(asper df and top).

>             Is there any good tool that will monitor the queries and generate a report with useful information on
whatmight be the problem? I tried pg_badger, but all
>             I got were specific queries and their times, but the long query times are just one of the symptoms of
what'swrong with the database, not the cause.

--
Jerry Sievers
Postgres DBA/Development Consulting