Please help - corrupt database - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Ertel, Steve
Subject Please help - corrupt database
Date
List pgsql-novice

Last night, while running a scheduled backup, our database became corrupt.  When I open the database backup file it includes the definition of all of the tables but only data for the first table.

We are currently running version 8.1.11.

When I try to execute any code against the database, I get the following message:

db_name=>select count(0) from usage;
WARNING:  could not write block 1 of 1663/28004/49027
DETAIL:  Multiple failures --- write error may be permanent.
ERROR:  could not open relation 1663/28004/49027: No such file or directory
CONTEXT:  writing block 1 of relation 1663/28004/49027

From the log files you can see that the backup does a REINDEX DATABASE db_name
While this reindex is running, several other queries are running against the database wrapped in a BEGIN/COMMIT transaction.
After the transaction query was issued, the log file provides the message NOTICE:  table "pg_class" was reindexed
A few more queries run and then the log file provides the error message: ERROR:  could not find pg_class tuple for index 2663

Is there anything that we can do to recover from this issue?

A co-worker of mine sent in an email just a few minutes ago about this problem.  I am just providing more detail.

Thanks,
Steve