Re: do i need to change the jar in case of new PostgreSQL installation - Mailing list pgsql-jdbc

From surabhi.ahuja
Subject Re: do i need to change the jar in case of new PostgreSQL installation
Date
List pgsql-jdbc
hi,
i have noticed a drop in the performance in delete operations after I ugraded from Postgres8.0.0 (32 bit server)
to Postgres 8.1.5 (64 bit server)
However I have not ugraded the jdbc jar, I am still using postgresql-8.0-310.jdbc3.jar
I wanted to ak if the drop is because I am still using the old jdbc driver?

thanks,
regard
Surabhi

From: Heikki Linnakangas [mailto:heikki@enterprisedb.com]
Sent: Wed 11/29/2006 9:30 PM
To: surabhi.ahuja
Cc: pgsql-jdbc@postgresql.org
Subject: Re: [JDBC] do i need to change the jar in case of new PostgreSQL installation

surabhi.ahuja wrote:
>  I have been using Postgres 8.0.0 on my mc
> for which i used the following jar:
>  postgresql-8.0-310.jdbc3.jar

> now i will be going for Postgres8.1.5 , 64 bit server

> Is it ok if I countinue using the same jar?

It should work, though it's usually a good idea to use the latest driver.

> Why i am asking is this: I have noticed a decrease in the databasae operations like delete.

Do you mean that you're getting less performance with a newer JDBC
driver version, doing a delete operation, than with the older 8.0-310
version? Or that you're upgrading you're server to 8.1.5 for better
performance?

--
   Heikki Linnakangas
   EnterpriseDB   http://www.enterprisedb.com