Re: I can't connect - Mailing list pgsql-jdbc

From Dax Duskin
Subject Re: I can't connect
Date
List pgsql-jdbc
Are you running postmaster with the -i option?

Bart <bart@alator.kotnet.org> on 03/21/2001 02:00:45 PM

To:   pgsql-jdbc@postgresql.org
cc:    (bcc: Dax Duskin/Evanston/ZSAssociates)

Subject:  [JDBC] I can't connect

Hi,

I installed debian 2.2r2 with _all_ the postgres-packages,  I created a database
and via psql I can do whatever I want with the DB. Now I'm trying to make a
connection via a Java-program. I downloaded the jdbc-6.5-1.2.jar file and
renamed it to jdbc.jar and moved it to ~/jdk1.3/lib, set the CLASSPATH to
~/jdk1.3/lib and used a program, found in the Deitel&Deitel Java book.
After that, I tried to make a connection to the database I created (testing) and
I keep getting error-messages.

Can someone help me with this? I'm trying for 3 days now and still no luck.

Thanks,
Bart

 --- program from Deitel & Deitel ---

import java.sql.*;
import javax.swing.*;
import java.awt.*;
import java.awt.event.*;
import java.util.*;

public class TableDisplay extends JFrame
{
     private Connection connection;
     private JTable table;

     public TableDisplay()
     {
          String url = "jdbc:odbc:testing";   // I also tried with <String url =
"jdbc:postgres:testing";>
          String username = "postgres";
          String password = "notentered";

          try
          {
               Class.forName("jdbc.Driver");
               connection = DriverManager.getConnection(url, username,
password);
          }
          catch (ClassNotFoundException cnfex)
          {
               System.err.println("Failed to load the JDBC/ODBC driver.");
               cnfex.printStackTrace();
               System.exit(1);
          }
          catch (SQLException sqlex)
          {
               System.err.println("Unable to connect to database.");
               sqlex.printStackTrace();
          }

Attachment