Re: Possible to set postgres in case insensitive mode ? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Moe
Subject Re: Possible to set postgres in case insensitive mode ?
Date
List pgsql-general

On Sat, Jan 30, 2010 at 4:44 AM, Scott Marlowe <scott.marlowe@gmail.com> wrote:
On Fri, Jan 29, 2010 at 7:40 PM, Scott Marlowe <scott.marlowe@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 29, 2010 at 2:52 PM, Moe <mohamed5432154321@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Is it possible to set postgres in case insensitive mode ?
>>
>> If so, how?
>
> What part, exactly, do you want to be case insensitive?  I assume you
> mean a text / varchar type?  Look for citext, I believe it's a contrib
> module, until 9.0 is out, which will include it natively.

It's here:
http://pgfoundry.org/projects/citext/
But it doesn't work in 8.3 or 8.4, only 8.2 and before.  So either run
that or wait for 9.0 I guess.

Sorry, I forgot I posted the message. What I mean was that a query select * from where email = ? could match on both upper and lower case emails, such myEmail@hotmail.com or myemail@hotmail.com

I know I can use the lower(...) function but this is not an option when using hibernate.

MySql is by default case insensitive, I just figured there'd be an option to turn it on in PG as well.

What about 9.0 ? How is that going to be offered ?

For now I just normalized all emails to lower cased, and changed so that they are always saved in lower.. but there are other columns that are likely to need similar mathing ( firstname, lastname, address ... ) where lowering is not an option, and where storing in a separate column is really ugly. The like possibility is probably just slow.

Sincerely / Moe