Re: pgbackrest - question about restoring cluster to a new cluster onsame server - Mailing list pgsql-general

From David Steele
Subject Re: pgbackrest - question about restoring cluster to a new cluster onsame server
Date
List pgsql-general
On 9/18/19 10:18 PM, Jerry Sievers wrote:
> David Steele <david@pgmasters.net> writes:
>
>> This is not an issue unless you seriously game the system.  When a
>
> And/or your recovery system is running archive_mode=always :-)
>
> I don't know how popular that setting value is but that plus an
> identical archive_command as the origin...  duplicate archival with
> whatever consequences.
>
> Disclaimer: I don't know if pgbackrest guards against such a
> configuration.

We current disallow archive_mode=always because the locking issues are
complex.  Also, standbys will not always push WAL which is binary
identical to the primary (even though they are logically the same) so it
can be really tricky to tell who is authoritative.

We have plans in this area but they are currently on the back-burner.

Regards,
--
-David
david@pgmasters.net