Re: Unicode UTF-8 table formatting for psql text output - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Unicode UTF-8 table formatting for psql text output
Date
Re: Unicode UTF-8 table formatting for psql text output
List pgsql-hackers
Roger Leigh <rleigh@codelibre.net> writes:
>> On Wed, 2009-09-30 at 11:03 -0400, Andrew Dunstan wrote:
>>> Thinking about this some more, ISTM a much better way of approaching
>>> it would be to provide a flag for psql to turn off the fancy
>>> formatting, and have pg_regress use that flag.

> The attached patch implements this feature.  It adds a
> --no-pretty-formatting/-G option to psql (naming isn't my fort�,
> so feel free to change it!).  This is also documented in the
> SGML docs, and help text.  Lastly, this option is used when invoking
> psql by pg_regress, which results in a working testsuite in a UTF-8
> locale.

It would be a good idea to tie this to a psql magic variable (like
ON_ERROR_STOP) so that it could conveniently be set in ~/.psqlrc.
I'm not actually sure that we need a dedicated command line switch
for it, since you could use "-v varname" instead.