log select access - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Little, Douglas
Subject log select access
Date
List pgsql-general

Hello everybody,

For PCI compliance I need to log user access to my PCI columns in a table and retain for 2 years.

I know I can grep the log,  but with 1m log rows/day and infrequent PCI access,  I’m thinking this isn’t the most efficient method.

I’ve been thinking about a SELECT rule, for the access views defined on the tables with PCI columns.

I reviewed the doc but belive I’m constrained

I would like to create a select rule that would log the statement in addition to executing the select.

“Presently, ON SELECT rules must be unconditional INSTEAD rules and must have actions that consist of a

single SELECT command. Thus, an ON SELECT rule effectively turns the table into a view, whose visible”

makes me think I can’t do this.   Any advice how I might accomplish the goal.

format

CREATE [ OR REPLACE ] RULE name AS ON event

TO table [ WHERE condition ]

DO [ ALSO | INSTEAD ] { NOTHING | command | ( command ; command ... ) }

Create rule pci_select as on select to creditcard do

Instead (begin

Insert into pci_log( sql statement);

Select * from creditcard;

end)

Thanks

Doug Little

Sr. Data Warehouse Architect | Business Intelligence Architecture | Orbitz Worldwide

500 W. Madison, Suite 1000  Chicago IL 60661| Office 312.260.2588 | Fax 312.894.5164 | Cell 847-997-5741

Douglas.Little@orbitz.com

Attachment