Re: Using the geqo - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Ms swati chande
Subject Re: Using the geqo
Date
List pgsql-general
Thanks Andres,
> 1. Since the value of geqo_threshold is 12, does the geqo get automatically
> activated for queries with 12 or more joins?
No, not directly. It will get used for 12 joins with no predefined order.

This is a bit complicated by the fact that even a predefined order like:
a JOIN b ON (..) JOIN c ON (..) ...
might get reordered if the number of joins is less than join_collapse_limit.

See
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/explicit-joins.html

> 3. How do we come to know whether the geqo has been used to solve the query
> or not? Does Explain Analyze report it?
No, you cannot see it directly unless you recompile with different options.

> Please let me know these basics on the use of the geqo.
Why do you want to specifically use GEQO? Just Research? Normally you try not
to get where GEQO is used ;-)
Andres
Thanks,
Regards