RE: ODBC & v7.0(Rel) Errors with Users and Databases - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Dave Page
Subject RE: ODBC & v7.0(Rel) Errors with Users and Databases
Date
List pgsql-hackers

This makes perfect sense of course.

> > The ODBC log (and knowledge that it isn't pgAdmin or M$
> ADO) shows that the
> > ODBC driver is automatically wrapping the query in a transaction.
>
> I don't know anything about ODBC but it certainly should
> provide a means
> to execute a command without that wrapping block. Is this a special
> function or do you just execute some exec("DROP DATABASE") style call?

Yes, I just issue the DROP DATABASE sql exactly as I would issue and INSERT,
DELETE or UPDATE query. From my fumblings around in the source for the ODBC
driver I have found what I believe to be the offending code in statement.c
at line 748 in the version shipped with 7.0, however I know nothing about
how the driver works and my C is far from good so (having very little spare
time also) I'm reluctant to try to fix it myself:
/*    Begin a transaction if one is not already in progress *//*    The reason is because we can't use declare/fetch
cursors
without    starting a transaction first.*/if ( ! self->internal && ! CC_is_in_trans(conn) &&
(globals.use_declarefetch || STMT_UPDATE(self))) {
    mylog("   about to begin a transaction on statement = %u\n",
self);    res = CC_send_query(conn, "BEGIN", NULL);

Again, any assistance would be greatfully received!

Regards,
Dave.
--
"If you stand still, sooner or later something will eat you."  - James Burke
http://www.vale-housing.co.uk/ (Work)