Re: 64-bit integers for GUC - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: 64-bit integers for GUC
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> Am Dienstag, 25. Juli 2006 14:15 schrieb Tom Lane:
>> I'd be fairly worried about whether that wouldn't mean we fail
>> completely on INT64_IS_BROKEN platforms ...

> I wonder whether platforms with INT64_IS_BROKEN can address more than 2GB of
> memory anyway.

No, surely they can't (on all machines we support, "long" is at least as
wide as a pointer, cf Datum).  I'm just worried about whether normal GUC
behavior would work at all on such a machine.  We've so far tried to
preserve "it works as long as you don't try to use values larger than
2G" on such machines, and I'm not quite prepared to give that up.