Re: I can't seem to put the right combination of magic into the pg_hba and pg_ident files. - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tim Uckun
Subject Re: I can't seem to put the right combination of magic into the pg_hba and pg_ident files.
Date
Re: I can't seem to put the right combination of magic into the pg_hba and pg_ident files.  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
List pgsql-general
> I just tried with 8.4.1. Started with the default configuration, created
> data/pg_ident.conf with:
> pg_map root postgres
> pg_map postgres postgres
>
> Replaced in pg_hba.conf:
> <   local   all         all                               trust
> by
>>   local   all         all                               ident map=pg_map
>
> Restarted the server, and then:
> $ su -
> # /usr/local/pg84/bin/psql -U postgres
> psql (8.4.1)
> Type "help" for help.
>
> postgres=#
>
> ... it appears to works.

I am sad to report that this does not work with ubuntu 9.04 postgres
8.3 installed from the packages.   I have removed everything from
pg_hba.conf except for the one line what says

local    all        all                              ident map=pg_map

My pg_ident /etc/postgres/8.3/main/pg_ident.conf file says

pg_map          root            postgres
pg_map          postgres        postgres

When I restart postgres and type

psql -U postgres
psql: FATAL:  Ident authentication failed for user "postgres"

If I replace the line in pg_hba.conf with this.

local    all        all                              trust

It works.

the "ident_file" setting in postgresql.conf is pointing to the right file.

At this point I am going to go with the trust method and go on with my project.