Re: [HACKERS] More thoughts about FE/BE protocol - Mailing list pgsql-interfaces

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: [HACKERS] More thoughts about FE/BE protocol
Date
List pgsql-interfaces
Bruce Badger <bruce_badger@badgerse.com> writes:
> On Fri, 2003-04-11 at 09:29, Tom Lane wrote:
>> I'm not planning to change the contents of messages more than I have to.
>> What's so hard about parsing "UPDATE nnn" ?

> Nothing, of course.  However the fewer easy things we *have* to do, the
> more other things we have time for.

The other side of that coin is that making low-value changes takes time
away from dealing with the important problems.  We're not working in a
green field here --- we have existing code that we're planning to change.

> Also, some things that could return
> a row count don't, e.g. SELECT.

But the client has surely already accumulated a row count while
collecting the SELECT result.  Doesn't seem like there's much
value-added to be found there.
        regards, tom lane