psql listTables - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Thomas F.O'Connell
Subject psql listTables
Date
List pgsql-hackers
In examining the output of psql -E to get some templates for some
queries I'm developing, I noticed in describe.c that there is logic to
inform the final IN clause that gets printed for relkind but no similar
logic for the CASE clause.

Here's what I get from a \d in 7.4.1:

SELECT n.nspname as "Schema", c.relname as "Name",CASE c.relkind    WHEN 'r' THEN 'table'    WHEN 'v' THEN 'view'
WHEN'i' THEN 'index'    WHEN 'S' THEN 'sequence'    WHEN 's' THEN 'special'END as "Type",

u.usename as "Owner"
FROM pg_catalog.pg_class c     LEFT JOIN pg_catalog.pg_user u ON u.usesysid = c.relowner     LEFT JOIN
pg_catalog.pg_namespacen ON n.oid = c.relnamespace

WHERE c.relkind IN ('r','v','S','')      AND n.nspname NOT IN ('pg_catalog', 'pg_toast')      AND
pg_catalog.pg_table_is_visible(c.oid)
ORDER BY 1,2;

Such that the IN clause for c.relkind seems to preclude two of the
options ('i' and 's') in the CASE.

I realize this is a trivial issue, but it seems like logic could be
added to the CASE statement to prevent irrelevant SELECT material from
being output.

Couldn't the SELECT clause include if(showTables), etc.?

-tfo