Re: Building under Visual Studio 2008 - pqcomm.c compile error - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Knight, Doug
Subject Re: Building under Visual Studio 2008 - pqcomm.c compile error
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Unfortunately I had to uninstall VS2005 to install VS2008 due to limited
space, or I'd search the old libraries to see where the symbol used to
be. Anyone care to search their VS2005 includes for IPPROTO_IPV6 so I
can compare to the VS2008?

Also, following the usual build procedure (using build.bat/build.pl), I
encountered errors saying I needed to do "vcbuild /upgrade" on
postgres.vcproj, libpgport.vcproj, and pgevent.vcproj. After consulting
with one of our QA people who builds stuff in Windows all the time, I
came up with the following procedure to build postgres under VS2008
(This includes changing pqcomm.c per Tom's comment below):

(in msvc)
mkvcbuild.pl
cd ..\..\..
vcbuild /upgrade postgres.vcproj
vcbuild /upgrade libpgport.vcproj
vcbuild /upgrade pgevent.vcproj
(actually, I wound up creating a script that did vcbuild /upgrade to ALL
of the vcproj files here)
msbuild pgsql.sln

Note that after doing all the vcbuild /upgrade commands, I used msbuild
referencing the pgsql.sln file instead of vcbuild to do the actual
build. So, aside from the issue of the missing IPPROTO_IPV6 symbol, its
built under VS2008. It will probably be some time before I can try
running postgres built this way, as we're under the gun to get a release
out this week.

I'm not an MS developer by any means, so if someone has a better way to
do this feel free to say so. This is what worked for me.

Doug