using includes - Mailing list pgsql-php

From Timothy_Maguire@hartehanks.com
Subject using includes
Date
List pgsql-php
I have a few questions on connections to the db and using the pgsql.php module.

First, I have been using pg_connect for all my connections but have run into
some problems when I include and require files that also use pg_connect.  I have
2 db servers that i use all the time and one web server.  (The first db, on my
web server called A and the other db server called B)  I noticed that if I use
pg_pconnect for Server A, (webserver) the entire server crashes and none of the
pages will load.  The server just freezes.  And if I use pg_connect on server B,
I get errors saying it doesn't recognize the connection.  So, I now use just
pg_connect to server A and pg_pconnect on server B.  I was wondering what is the
difference in this or is there another way of solving this problem?

Also, I just picked up the book "PHP - Developer's Cookbook" by Sterling Hughes.
(It is a decent book)  I was reading about the pgsql.php module where if you
include it, you can use db_connect for all your connections.  Basically what it
does is make php act more of an object oriented language and creates functions
for smaller php scripts.  Has anyone used these?  Does anyone kow what I am
talking about?  I include the file fine but i keep on getting errors saying
db_connect is not a supported function when it is in the file.  In order to use
these includes, do we have to install or config php a certain way.  I can send
my code if you need that.

thanks,
Tim.