Re: Startup cost of sequential scan - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Konstantin Knizhnik
Subject Re: Startup cost of sequential scan
Date
Re: Startup cost of sequential scan
List pgsql-hackers

On 30.08.2018 17:58, Tom Lane wrote:
> Alexander Korotkov <a.korotkov@postgrespro.ru> writes:
>> On Thu, Aug 30, 2018 at 5:05 PM Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>>> Because it's what the mental model of startup cost says it should be.
>>  From this model we make a conclusion that we're starting getting rows
>> from sequential scan sooner than from index scan.  And this conclusion
>> doesn't reflect reality.
> No, startup cost is not the "time to find the first row".  It's overhead
> paid before you even get to start examining rows.
But it seems to me that calculation of cost in LIMIT node contradicts
with this statement:

             pathnode->path.startup_cost +=
                 (subpath->total_cost - subpath->startup_cost)
                 * offset_rows / subpath->rows;

--
Konstantin Knizhnik
The Russian Postgres Company