Re: Can I get some PostgreSQL developer feedback on these five general issues I have with PostgreSQL and its ecosystem? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Can I get some PostgreSQL developer feedback on these five general issues I have with PostgreSQL and its ecosystem?
Date
In response to Re: Can I get some PostgreSQL developer feedback on these five general issues I have with PostgreSQL and its ecosystem?  (Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us>)
Responses Re: Can I get some PostgreSQL developer feedback on these five general issues I have with PostgreSQL and its ecosystem?  (Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us>)
List pgsql-general
> On Mon, Sep 14, 2020 at 05:39:57PM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
>> On the other hand, the very same thing could be said of database names
>> and role names, yet we have never worried much about whether those were
>> encoding-safe when viewed from databases with different encodings, nor
>> have there been many complaints about the theoretical unsafety.  So maybe
>> this is just overly anal-retentive and we should drop the restriction,
>> or at least pass through data that doesn't appear to be invalidly
>> encoded.

> I think the issue is that role and database names are controlled by
> privileged users, while application_name is not.

That's certainly an argument against a completely laissez-faire approach,
but if we filtered invalidly-encoded data on the reading side, it seems
like we would be in good enough shape.

            regards, tom lane