Re: Improve conditional compilation for direct I/O alignment checks - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: Improve conditional compilation for direct I/O alignment checks
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 26.05.24 09:16, Junwang Zhao wrote:
> This patch refactors the alignment checks for direct I/O to preprocess phase,
> thereby reducing some CPU cycles.

This patch replaces for example

     if (PG_O_DIRECT != 0 && PG_IO_ALIGN_SIZE <= BLCKSZ)
         Assert((uintptr_t) buffer == TYPEALIGN(PG_IO_ALIGN_SIZE, buffer));

with

     #if PG_O_DIRECT != 0 && PG_IO_ALIGN_SIZE <= BLCKSZ
         Assert((uintptr_t) buffer == TYPEALIGN(PG_IO_ALIGN_SIZE, buffer));
     #endif

You appear to be assuming that this saves some CPU cycles.  But this is
not the case.  The compiler will remove the unused code in the first
case because all the constants in the if expression are known at
compile-time.