Comparing bit in an integer field - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Amitabh Kant
Subject Comparing bit in an integer field
Date
Re: Comparing bit in an integer field  ("A. Kretschmer" <andreas.kretschmer@schollglas.com>)
List pgsql-general
Hello

I need to compare the bit values of a integer field in my table. For example, I have a table called "t1" with just one field "a1" having following values:

a1
==
0
12
8
0
1
10
7
19

I am trying to fetch all records where the 3rd binary bit is 1, which from the above example should be 12 (00001100) and 7 (00000111). If I convert the values to binary and store it as string, I can easily compare them using substr, but would rather like to retain the integer field. I have tried using the get_bit function, but it seems my understanding of the function is not correct.

I would appreciate any help in this regard.

Amitabh